Great news for those interested in getting into this terrific radio experimentation hobby.
The Riverland Radio Club Inc. from time to time holds Foundation Courses and conducts assessments. These are at a zero profit to the Club to minimise costs for the entry into amateur radio.
The Foundation Licence Manual, “Your Entry Into Amateur Radio” is a superb self directed way to learn everything you need for success.
These are available on a BORROW basis from us at the Riverland Radio Club Inc, complete the form at the bottom of this page if you wish to borrow one.
The Radio Electronics School (RES) also host online tutorial videos and these are available free of charge. Simply click on the above link, select ‘Foundation’ from the menu and select ‘View Foundation Video Tutorials’.
Another mode of self directed learning available is via an application for either Android or iPhone. These can be downloaded for free from:
It is highly recommended that candidates have worked through the learning resource as this will help ensure success on the face to face training and assessment session(s).
A good idea is to also have a copy of the Licence Conditions Determination (LCD), this is available from the WIA website HERE.
The Course (Face to Face)
The face to face training course is conducted locally here in the Riverland on a needs basis, that is to say when candidates are ready we can schedule the training sessions with relative ease and have candidates up and on air with little fuss.
- Minimum candidates: 1 (you)
- Maximum candidates: 6
- Location of course: Riverland area, as arranged
- Riverland Radio Club Inc. assessors: 2
- Method of delivery:
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Discussion sessions
- Question and Answer sessions
- Practical sessions
- Assessment methods:
- Multiple choice theory paper
- Practical sessions:
- Use provided equipment to prepare a station
- Perform basic fault testing on supplied equipment
- Perform on air voice communications
- Multiple choice theory paper
Our Riverland Radio Club Inc. aims to make things as easy as we can. Basically the first step is to contact our Club Education Coordinator via the form at the bottom of this page.
From there our Club will arrange for you to be supported, as best we can, through the rest of the process. Basically:
- Get a copy of The Foundation Licence Manual, “Your Entry Into Amateur Radio”, either from us or wherever;
- Download and/or use the online resources mentioned above;
- Undertake self directed learning with mentoring support from our club assessors;
- Negotiate a suitable course date with our Club Coordinator – Education & Training, who will:
- Arrange suitable Club Endorsed Assessors;
- Register the applicable arrangements with Australian Maritime Collage (AMC); and
- Ensure assessment pack(s) are ordered
- Participate in the course day;
- Complete the applicable paperwork as supplied by our Club Endorsed Assessors
- Training sessions (inc. Slide Shows, Q & A, Discussion sessions)
- Knowledge assessment
- Practical assessment
- You make applicable payment to AMC (Credit Card, Cheque, On-Line)
- Our Club Endorsed Assessors submit the paperwork to the AMC for processing;
- If successful you will be invoiced by ACMA for your licence;
- Once paid and your callsign appears in the Register of Licences you are good to go!!!
What To Bring To The Course
For the learning and assessment components all you be required to bring will be:
- Note pad and pen
- Preferably your manual: ‘The Foundation Licence Manual – Your Entry Into Amateur Radio’
- A positive learning attitude
For the application process you will need to bring along to the following:
- Photo Identification
- Current Australian Drivers Licence
- Passport Photo (to include with application)
- Additional ID
- Credit/Debit Card; or
- MediCare Card
- Email Address
And lastly you will also require Cheque or Credit/Debit Card for application payments.
Please note: Cash payments will not be accepted.
The Riverland Radio Club Inc may, by arrangement, provide training for the Foundation level. This training is provided FREE when booking for assessment with us. The fees applicable are:
- Foundation Course and Assessments
- Training by Riverland Radio Club Inc: FREE
- Assessments (inc. Knowledge and Practical): $90
- Callsign Requisition
- Level 1 (next available callsign): $25
- Level 2 (select from available callsign): $35
- Licence fees
- New Service (Licence): $78
- Annual renewal thereafter: $53
- 5 year licence renewal: $272
- You undertake the Foundation Course & Assessment and apply for next available (Level 1) callsign:
- $90 (assessment) + $25 (Callsign – Level 1) + $78 (Licence fee – new service) = $193
- You undertake the Foundation Course & Assessment and requests a specific (Level 2) callsign from an available list:
- $90 (Assessment) + $35 (Callsign – Level 2) + $78 (Licence fee – new service) = $203
If you are interested in having a go at getting your Foundation Licence or would like some more information please submit your interest in this form and our Club Education Coordinator will follow up.
Please note: The fees mentioned on this page only apply to the Foundation Course & Assessment course and licencing.